Wednesday, December 08, 2004

Money Money Money

For those who know me, they would know that money has never been a problem for me. Sure, there are a lot of times when I dun have enough to get everything I want, but still, I was never in need. I come from a upper middle class family and I earned a fairly decent income myself. So I never actually know what is it like to be poor.

Money. I hate money. But more that that, I hate my dependence on it. A large part of my life is devoted to just making money, just so that I can buy the things I want to buy and do the things I want to do. The fact is, I cannot function apart from money. Take away all my money and I will not be able to survive.

Everybody needs money, dun we? Unless we can relearn all the skills of our Jurassic forefathers - and give up luxuries like telecommunication, air-conditioning and processed food - we will always be dependent on money. But I get really uncomfortable when people over-emphasize the importance of money in their life. You know, the type of person who believes money is everything. There is a song writer who describe that person like this:

There's a lady who's sure
All that glitters is gold
And she's buying a stairway to heaven
- Stairway to Heaven, Led Zeppelin

That kind of people really gets to me. I feel like taking whatever money I have in my pocket and throw it in their face. - I have learnt that money can be the ultimate weapon of insult. Haha. The greater the amount that you throw, the more the insult, but if you only got some spare change, it will work just as well, just add "That's is all you're worth!" after of it. (Oh ya, if you want to leave a comment to ask me to throw money at you, f**k off - I am not amused) On the other hand, I also feel sorry for those who think that their security and happiness lies solely in their wealth, for they will be very disappointed at the end of it. And the sad thing is they will not realize it until the very end of it.

What good is it for a man to gain the whole world, yet forfeit his soul?

My financial planner often appalled at the way I throw away my money. I treat this guy to this, I lend this amount to him (with no interest, mind you). I would be what she would call carelessly generous. I have so little regard for the value of money itself that I am sure all Mammon worshippers would readily declare me as a pagan, a sinner or even the Evil One himself. Seriously, most of my friends would know how easy I am with my money. My principle for using my money is very simple:

I tell you, use worldly wealth to gain friends for yourselves, so that when it is gone, you will be welcomed into eternal dwellings. - Luke 16:9

Haha. Many people did not know that this verse was even in the Bible (one of my friends even thought I was lying when I quoted this verse) but that is how I govern the spending of my stash. (If you want to comment that you want to be my friend after reading this, again I say, f**k off.) If money really can buy happiness, then that is the way I would buy it.

Money continues to have its power over me. I cannot escape or be free as long as I am in this body. I can only reduce its hold over me, by giving it away freely, I de-value the importance of money in my life. At the end of the day, the sad fact is that I cannot run away from money, or my dependence on it. I can only be less controlled by it and hopefully one day, not be controlled by it at all.


Hmm... after so many F Us... Think nobody will dare to comment on my blog anymore... Haha

5 Comments:

Blogger FF said...

I should be your financial planner like I've told you so many times!

9:24 am  
Blogger Guojun said...

Wahaha. I will be the death of you when that happens. Anyway, after reading your blog, I think not! Haha

12:41 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You sound confused actually.
You do not think that money can buy happiness, is not the be all and end all, which I agree.

Yet you would like to buy friendship with money? It's not going to happen. Friends made like this is like buying love in Geylang. They will disappear when the dough runs dry.

Just wanted to say this, cause it was the mindset I had when I was studying. It can get lonely overseas, so money made some things easier.

Think what you really mean is not to over-emphasise the importance of money, and to spend it on those you cherish and love, rather than just any random free-loader who deosn't give a damn about you.

But hey, live and learn. Take it easy.

Aggressively Passive

2:28 pm  
Blogger Guojun said...

AP> I sound confused? OH NO!!!!

5:03 pm  
Blogger Handsel said...

carelessly generous..how apt. money is not all, but sometimes its all when you need it. i feel very sad when i read in the papers about people who cannot afford to nurse themselves back to health because they have no money.

8:15 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home